369 New Scotland Ave., Albany, NY 12208
Web site: http://newscotland.albany.k12.ny.us/
David Amodeo, Principal
About New Scotland Elementary
Public School 19 was built in 1919. It was expanded in 1924 and again in 1950, but remained virtually the same until it underwent a complete facelift that started in mid-2007 and ended 18 months later. The school community chose a new name to reflect their renovated building: New Scotland Elementary School.
The school is fully accessible to people with disabilities. It also has 21 grade-specific classrooms, a new library, a new gym, a new cafeteria/auditorium, and new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, communications, security and technology systems.
The school’s mission is to provide an environment through the cooperation of parents, students, teachers, administrators and community residents in which students can achieve their academic and emotional potential through the development of self-confidence, self-discipline, self-expression, and creativity.
- Building opens: 8:10 a.m.
- Breakfast begins: 8:25 a.m.
- School day begins: 9:05 a.m.
- School day ends: 3:35 p.m.
- After-school child care ends: 6 p.m.
Points of distinction
- Full-day prekindergarten and kindergarten
- High-performing school, 2008-2009 and 2007-2008
- New York state Certificate of Recognition in English as a Second Language, 2005-2006
- “Arts in education” programs that link various kinds of hands-on drama, music and other art programs with the school curriculum