JUST RUN 2017 is starting in April! Signups are now open at Eventbrite.com! Our program this year will run on Tuesdays (K-2) and Thursdays (3-5) from April 4/6 through May 23/25, respectively. The older students will end their season with a track meet held at a local college or high school, date still to be determined.
JUST RUN is back by popular demand for grades K-2 but we need volunteers! This is a very large group of children, and to ensure that all students are safe, able to participate, and have fun, we need your help!!! Sign up at http://newscotland.parentplace.info/volunteer.
The JUST RUN program is sponsored in our local area by the Hudson-Mohawk Road Runners Club (link). Mrs. Carter, a kindergarten teacher at NSES, is our school coordinator, and does a great job getting our kids to enthusiastically work on running skills once a week after school. THIS PROGRAM IS FREE to us, thanks to HMRRC! The HMRCC coordinator, Mr. Skinner, is a well known volunteer around NSES and the Albany City School District. Here is a little more info about the program:
INTRODUCING JUST RUN!®
You are invited to participate in this year’s JUST RUN youth fitness program! JUST RUN was designed to combat obesity and to promote physical activity in our youth. The program focuses on nutrition, exercise, healthy lifestyle choices, and doing “JUST DEEDS”, acts of good citizenship.
The primary features of the JUST RUN program include:
- JUST RUN – Students’ mileage will be recorded and entered into the JUST RUN website and they will receive incentive awards when they reach certain mileage totals. Each student will be given a Mileage Marker when they begin the program to record mileage.
- RUN ACROSS AMERICA or EUROPE – Group mileage will be recorded on one of the maps showing their progress in their virtual journey.
- JUST DEEDS – This aspect of the program promotes good citizenship. Each student who completes 50 miles and performs 26 JUST DEEDS will receive a JUST RUN t-shirt.
- JUST RACE – Several goal races will be available throughout the school year. Students will train and be encouraged to participate.
- JUST ROCK OR ROLL – This program feature is for children with disabilities so that they, too, may accumulate mileage by walking or using a wheel chair.
- JUST RUN WITH YOUR PARENTS – There are program incentives for children who run with their parents in order to promote family fitness.
JUST RUN is open to children in grades K-5 this year. You must provide your own transportation for your child.